velocity adjustment on open hihats?

This is the place to start....
fizay

velocity adjustment on open hihats?

Post by fizay »

When I connect my Yamaha DD-55 e-drum controller to DrumJam, I have to hit the hihats pad pretty hard to trigger the open hats sample (otherwise it defaults to closed). Is there anyway I can adjust the velocity on this? (Comparing GB drum kits - they don't require heavy hits at all to trigger the open hats, so I don't think the cause is with my midi controller.)

(I just tried this setup with DJ yesterday, and apart from the hats issue, it's more addictive than AD. Adding a few randomized loops & voices to accompany a jam, with a touch of Bedlam, and I'm gone for hours. :D )

jesse

Re: velocity adjustment on open hihats?

Post by jesse »

Yeah, I'll look into exposing the velocity layers in the next feature version (another version with AB2 support will come out first), and making custom kits, to take care of this.

In the meantime, can you find out the midi velocity value that would feel right to switch over to the open hat, from your perspective? Perhaps I can make a tweak to the defaults too.

fizay

Post by fizay »

Jesse -- thanks for your responses...
jesse wrote:Yeah, I'll look into exposing the velocity layers in the next feature version (another version with AB2 support will come out first), and making custom kits, to take care of this.
Wonderful news. I can wait as long as that takes.
In the meantime, can you find out the midi velocity value that would feel right to switch over to the open hat, from your perspective? Perhaps I can make a tweak to the defaults too.
If you're willing to tweak the defaults, I would recommend at least halving the current value. (What is the current minimum value for open hats? I guess I'm confused as to why there is a switch point at all, since I assume the closed hats pad automatically chokes the open?)

jesse

Post by jesse »

It uses the same pad and midi note number, at velocities lower than 108 it uses the closed samples, and above that it uses the open ones (it actually varies a bit per kit). This may be non standard as the GM standard does provide different midi note numbers for closed and open hi-hat and DrumJam is compromised by mapping those to the same pad, where the velocity levels are what changes between closed and open. I assume your controller sends the closed hat midi note number when the pedal is down, and the open when pedal up?

fizay

Post by fizay »

Yes, now I see what you mean about DJ using the same pad and midi note number. And yes, my controller uses a foot pedal for closed hi-hats and a dedicated pad for open.

If you reduced the closed velocity to the minimum (1, or say 1-10) would this proportionately reduce the playing area of the lower portion of the pad that controls the closed hi-hat section? If so, would you consider separating that single pad into 2 pads? The reason I ask is because this would open up DJ as a very unique iOS app for hardware midi controllers. From what I can tell there are not a lot of them out there, but they are being sought after.

If reducing the closed velocity to a minimum does not affect the playing area, that might be the way to go -- at least until you equip DJ with this as a user setting.

Jesse - incredible support you offer here. Thanks so much!