Problems with virtual midi

Report anything that appears to be problem here.
Mauroc0

Problems with virtual midi

Post by Mauroc0 »

I'm trying to use beatmaker 2 to send midi to drumjam and the clock. The problem is that the drumjam pads play any midi beatmaker 2 is playing it does not matter what midi channel i select and even when the voice input from beatmaker ( in the drumjam settings) is turned off it still plays the midi. The beatmaker 2 omni midi option is turned off, and the only midi playing is sending it to channel 1 but drumjam keeps playing no matter what channel input i select. Then when i was tweaking the midi setting to try to work it out when i tried to start the beatmaker 2 sequencer again and it would not start until i closed drumjam. This happened twice. And well i cant make drumjam play the midi of the specific channel i want which makes it uselss to try to use it at the same time with other virtual midi controlled apps. :cry: other than that i was really enjoying the app.

Mauroc0

Re: Problems with virtual midi

Post by Mauroc0 »

Oh bummer i just got an email confirming it is a known bug hope it gets fixed soon since virtual midi is pretty essencial for music making on the ipad, would be nice if it is realesed as a hotfix and we dont have to wait for the first update.

FreddieD

Post by FreddieD »

Hi,

I'm new to DrumJam... Great, great app! Thanks for creating this... Very useful app, fun, well designed!

Did you fix the Beatmaker 2 bug mentioned above in this thread? I very much want to use DrumJam to send midi to BM2 to drive drums in BM2 , and sometimes use BM2 to drive the drums in DrumJam via BM2 's MIDIOUT. Can DrumJam do this? If yes, would you please post the set up steps?

When I tried to send the MIDI out FROM DrumJam to BM2, I set the midi out in DrumJam to 10, and set the BM2 midi output for voice and clock output. i set midi in for BM2 to 10. This drove the metronome and started BM2 with pretty good time sync but no drum midi content being sent or heard in BM2...also tried setting midi channel 10 for each pad in BM2 but didn't get any further...

I hope this will work, because this is one of the reasons I needed this great app!

jesse

Post by jesse »

The MIDI output from DrumJam is *only* for the solo instrument pads that you play live. The loops in drumjam are not sequenced midi, but are performed audio files. I'm guessing this is where the confusion lies?

jesse

Post by jesse »

OK, I had to try it. The problem is that BM2's drum pads apparently start at midi note 0, instead of the standard GM drum bindings at 36. And there doesn't appear to be a way to change in that in BM2, very disappointing. DrumJam uses the standard GM drum mapping for it's pad outputs whereever possible, and unfortunately can't be changed right now either. I suppose I can add a midi transpose option for the pads in drumjam, so at least you can work with BM2, even if they don't feel like working with anyone else :)

Oh, and to get it working at all I had to turn off the little Omni button in the top toolbar, as well as selecting the correct midi channel on the desired instrument track (and making sure others were different or none, including Main). Also, for some reason it appears that it doesn't want to hear anything when you set up DrumJam to send midi to it, instead you want to just make sure that the DrumJam Input is ON in BM2's main midi setup (the Info button gets you there), and turn off sending voice from the drumjam prefs.

You can verify this by picking a melodic instrument in BM2, picking the midi channel to match what drumjam is set to, then playing the pads... you will get notes. Only you can't get drums because they mapped them too low.

FreddieD

Post by FreddieD »

Ok,thanks for the fast response! That's a drag... I'll post a request at BM2 's site asking them to standardize as you mentioned. Awesome if you can add midi transpose option!

But, please above all add midi out for all of the audio content... Well, we do need it to map in a range that works ,too, which you've explained is a problem BM2 introduced... But, if I can generate midi tracks with DrumJam's flexibility and musicality and dump the midi into sequencers, it becomes the number one place that I go to for creating "original" drum parts. My guess is a ton of other people will feel the same way.