Pad repeat & midi

This is the place to start....
JollyDodger

Pad repeat & midi

Post by JollyDodger »

How do I set this up please? I want to have the repeat rate triggered in the same way as sliding on the iOS screen... while using a boppad.. this has an additional single axis cc.

the issue for me appears to be that drumjam’s Cc1 = auto repeat rate ignores the ui control for 8th / 16th / 8th dot.? But without it being sent there are no repeats. So the other repeat cc’s 2,11,12,13 do nothing. (Also not sure which of these cc’s effect repeat rate ?)

As I am going through a midi-condition filter I can map any input midi to the controller as required. Mapping other parameters to the boppad’s axis like reverb or filter or pitch is working for me.

Any advice please on using 8th repeats with a midi pad please?

JollyDodger

Re: Pad repeat & midi

Post by JollyDodger »

JollyDodger wrote:As I am going through a midi-condition filter I can map any input midi to the controller as required.
EDIT* map any midi input from the controller

jesse

Post by jesse »

You do need to send at least one CC1 value to set the repeat rate for the midi input. It does not use the UI value (as that is for the on-screen repeat). If you want it fixed to 8th or 16th, you just need to send a one-time value somewhere between 30 and 41 to get eighths, or between about 52 and 104 for 16ths. The various values are distributed through the range, from off, dotted-eight, eighth, triplets, sixteenth, 24th, 32nd... not evenly. Doing it that way doesn't use the same logic as the touchscreen where movement triggers the repeats, just setting CC1 to something > 10 will trigger repeats.

Exactly what behavior do you want when using the BopPad?

JollyDodger

Post by JollyDodger »

thanks for the reply.. it appears that currently what i want to do won’t work.

what i wanted. i hit the bobpad, hold or slide that note to trigger the repeat in time with the tempo, with the selected ui division button.

....the bop pad has various additional cc triggers that could be used to get note repeat on. i.e. pressure/aftertouch/initial position/position when sliding/distance between positions(when one is held)

I’ve had lots of fun doing reverb / bedlam / delay throws like this with the boppad and drumjam together.

jesse

Post by jesse »

I think you might be able to do this if you can make it send multiple CCs for a single press. Have one that uses CC1 and sets the Min and Max value to the same value (chosen by my suggestions in the previous message to pick the repeat division). If it constantly sends that same value, it won't matter. Then you can use pressure to affect repeat velocity (CC 2 or channelPressure).

JollyDodger

Post by JollyDodger »

thanks, yes that method would create repeats with the midi controller.

does the value of cc1 represent the delay in standard time or time as a division of the bpm please?

jesse

Post by jesse »

Various divisions of the BPM are represented, but like I said before they are spread out through the range a bit unevenly. From before:
"If you want it fixed to 8th or 16th, you just need to send a one-time value somewhere between 30 and 41 to get eighths, or between about 52 and 104 for 16ths. The various values are distributed through the range, from off, dotted-eight, eighth, triplets, sixteenth, 24th, 32nd... not evenly."
It may take a little experimentation to find what you want, but starting from those values above should help.